Table of Contents
Method Statement for Welding Works | Welding Techniques
In this article today we will talk about the Method Statement for Welding Works | Safe Work Method Statement for Welding | Work Method Statement Template | Mechanical Safe Work Method Statement | Welding Techniques | Welding Method of Statement | Welding SWMS | Welding Procedure Qualification | Fit up Inspection for Welding | Method Statement for Arc Welding
Method Statement for Welding Works:
1. Scope and Purpose:
- This method statement defines Arc Welding of Structure Arc Welding.
- This method statement to be read in conjunction with the project quality plan & related ITP to ensure the job execution complies with the project specifications.
- This method statement describes the responsibilities, procedure, inspections and/or tests to be carried out, associated with Structure Arc Welding.
2. Health and Safety:
General Safety Precautions:
- The Safety Engineer/Officer is responsible for checking that the site safety and health
precautions are effectively completed prior to start the activity on site.
- The Safety Engineer/Officer is responsible to carry out safety induction for the workers.
- The Safety Engineer/Officer is responsible to conduct safety tool box meeting prior
start activity on site in daily basis. Safe Work Method Statement for Welding
- The Safety Engineer/Officer is responsible to inspect and monitor the site work activities and ensure the workers wear PPE equipment (such as gloves, safety belt, helmet and safety shoes) and prepare safety report. Work Method Statement Template
- The Safety Engineer/Officer has the responsibility to assess any process that has
particular safety risk and addressed as required.
- The Safety Engineer/Officer has the responsibility to ensure that working during night
time has adequate lighting and adequate space and good ventilation.
- The Safety Engineer/Officer has the responsibility to ensure that working at height is safe and make all precautions to avoid falling from height. Work Method Statement Template
- The Safety Engineer/Officer has the responsibility to ensure that the site openings are provided with barricade, tape and safety nets Work Method Statement Template
- Supervise on-site health & safety control and promote the safe conduct of site work and
- Responsible for overseeing and ensuring the keeping of up to date SHE records, forms and files in accordance to the Project H&S Plan to ensure compliance and to enable auditing to be carried out;
- Ensure application of, and the adherence to, the BAYTUR Integrated H&S Management System; Mechanical Safe Work Method Statement
- To prevent unsafe acts being undertaken by anyone on the site and to stop and prevent work to continue / commence in prevailing unsafe conditions;
- Ensure that ALL employees I workers (including subcontractors) are issued with and properly use the correct PPE and safety devices for the work being performed;
- Report any incidents, accidents or near misses immediately, as per the BAYTUR procedure, (this may include liaison with police and I or authorities) and to secure the area by preventing that the area be tampered with;
- Investigate incidents, accidents and near miss events to determine the root, basic and immediate causes and ensure that correction / corrective / preventative actions are implemented for all H&S related events.
- Ensure site welfare facilities (rest areas, water, toilets, etc.) are sufficient for the number of personnel, and are being provided by the site supervisory staff as well as ensuring that high standards of hygiene are maintained; Mechanical Safe Work Method Statement
- Promote a positive SHE attitude to personnel, subcontractors, consultants and clients;
- Be proactive in addressing operational SHE issues to ensure that the risk to workers and others are managed, minimized and prevented as well as the potential environmental impact prevented / mitigated;
- Ensure and facilitate communication and coordination between the company and subcontractors with respect to health & safety requirements;
- Establishing a list of hazardous tasks, requiring safe work permits, implement and maintain the required permit systems; Mechanical Safe Work Method Statement
Safety Concerns Specific to Arc Welding:
- The welding area shall be shielded from the eyes of onlookers.
- Arc welding tends to be used for thick metal at high amps, so the light generated by the
arc is very bright. Any exposed skin will become sunburned quickly so overalls and welding gauntlets (gloves) shall be used Welding Techniques
- Slag can ping off a hot weld and bum into the eyes. Safety glasses or goggles shall be used Welding Techniques
- For stainless steel arc welding a fume mask should be used.
- Fire extinguisher shall be kept nearby – Both CO2 and dry powder types are suitable.
Any type that contains water (foam or water types) should not be used near mains
powered electrical equipment.
- Slag is lightweight and brittle so can fly a fair distance. Eye protection shall be worn when chipping. Welding Techniques
- The materials delivered to site shall be inspected properly by QA/QC Engineer and
shall be stored properly as per manufacturer recommendations.
- The Inspection of Materials Delivered shall be raised as per the ITP.
- The Site Staff (Engineer/ Supervisor/Foremen) shall carry out the work in proper way
and strict supervision. Welding Techniques
- The QA/QC Inspector shall check all welding’s as per the Arc Welding Checklist.
- The QA/QC Inspector shall raise request for inspection as per ITP and submit it to the
consultant for the inspection and approval.
- Arc Welding Preparation Fit up Inspection for Welding
A) Base Metal Cleaning:
Cleaning should be done just prior to welding to prevent the formation of oxides. The base metal surface must be free of grease, oil, paint, dirt, etc. A clean surface will provide a smoother, stronger joint. Brush the plate surface & edges with a stainless steel wire brush to remove burrs & oxides. Gloves should be worn to prevent hand oil or dirt from getting on the joining surface. Fit up Inspection for Welding
B) Fit Up Inspection:
The QC Inspector assigned reviews the WIR and the specific requirements of the drawings,
WPS, procedure and appropriate operating instructions, prior to conducting the fit-up and final visual inspection required inspection which could cover any or all the following elements; Fit up Inspection for Welding
- Joint location in accordance with drawing.
- Weld preparation in accordance with the approved WPS
- Cleanliness of fusion face
- Alignment (Hi-Lo) Fit up Inspection for Welding
- Materials correct grade and rating / schedule
- Temporary attachments / tacking adequacy
- Joined members are square, plumb or level
- Adequate protection from adverse weather conditions
- Weld Identification Welding Procedure Qualification
- Identification of WPS to be used.
- Tack welds in accordance with Drawing
- Identification tags.
- Welder Qualification correct and current. Welding Procedure Qualification
On acceptance the Project QC Inspector will identify actions, endorse WIR and return the copy of the fit-up request to the production supervision noted accepted.
The original of the fit-up request will be forwarded to the Project QC Document Controller, who will Welding Procedure Qualification
C) Pre Cleaning:
The surface must be free of organic contamination. Welding Procedure Qualification
Welding Techniques (Procedure):
The arc is started by touching the electrode momentarily against the work to complete the
electrical circuit before raising the electrode to establish the arc by “Tap Starting” and “Scratch Starting Methods”. Welding SWMS
For welding on the flat surface (below photo), the rod should be angled 10 to 20 degrees from vertical and pulled in the direction of the arrow. Welding SWMS
The arc length is the distance between the electrode and the weld pool. It should be roughly the same as the diameter of the rod. Appropriate arc length shall be maintained over the length of the weld. Below photo shows faults caused by improper arc lengths.
During welding, the rod is moved in a straight line to form a “stringer.
Arc welding shall be done at proper speed; otherwise faults may occur in the weld. (See
below photo) Welding SWMS
Arc welding of structure steel shall be in 3 layers. First root weld (1) is made. After the root weld (1) is cleaned up, a single stringer with a slight weave is made to form half of the weld (2), then a second stringer used to complete the weld (3). Welding SWMS
After the welding, welding area shall be cleaned from slag by grinder. Welding SWMS
The following are basic welding tips: Welding SWMS
- Use fixtures &/or jigs to help keep work in place.
- Butting edges should be squared. A Fillet Weld joint is prevalently used for
- Structure Plates. Heavier Thick plates may require an edge bevel to assure full penetration. Welding Method of Statement
- Electrode Filler metal should be dipped into the weld puddle, but should not drip into it.
- Move the Electrode along the joint at a steady, constant speed to maintain uniformity.
- Hold the Electrode over the weld, to keep work protected. Welding Method of Statement
4. Access / Egress:
The contractor will provide scaffoldings assembly with attached step ladder and rubberize wheel. Aluminum Ladders will be used in instances where scaffolding assembly is not permitted in The work place and for alignment purpose of installation. Safety personnel should be involved in preparation and approval of scaffolding assembly and Ladders prior to use. Welding Method of Statement
The contractor will provide sufficient lighting to the work space areas and assign qualified electrician reported to the site engineer. Safety personnel shall be supervisor the activity and the lighting distribution and check all the wires installation. Welding Method of Statement
6. Tools and Equipment:
The following tools & equipment’s will be used during Structure Welding-
- Calibrated Welding Machine
- Potable Oven
- Measuring Tape
- Welding Mask
- Welding Gloves
- Wire Brush
- Fitters tool box. Method Statement for Arc Welding
All materials delivered to the site will first be inspected by the store in charge I site in charge, to check that it is in accordance with the site requirement, the approved submittal and material qualification and that it is free from any damage caused during delivery to site. Method Statement for Arc Welding
Delivery documentation shall be checked for completeness.
Defective or damaged materials shall either be returned to their supplier’s facility or stored on site at a suitable quarantine location.
These damage materials will be removed from the site. It should be noted that the materials used in this work are of a valuable nature and that they Shall be stored in a secure location and access to these materials shall be strictly controlled.
8. Technician Competency:
The site team work (Engineers, Supervisors, Foremen & Welders) shall be qualified and shall have the required experience and attained to perform their competency as required.
9. Emergency Arrangement:
The Safety Officer/1st Aider is responsible to check the person in case of incident or illness then after the investigation of the Safety Officer/1 st Aider they will inform the relevant parties and transfer the patient to clinic. Fit up Inspection for Welding
The Supervisor is responsible to instruct his workers to clean the site from any debris and collect it then segregate the debris to the used materials will collect it into disposal box and the unused materials will return back to store it in proper way.
11. Quality Control:
The QC Engineer/ inspector is responsible to monitor and supervisor the work activities to ensure the works done as per this method statement If he finds any mistake he shall instruct the supervisor to correct the mistake as per workmanship specification.
12. Environmental Aspects:
The waste of those works will be segregated and disposed of according to the site and authority norms. The chemical/cleaner used for the works should kept away in separate container and protect it to avoid spillage on the floor.
The materials and workmanship should be compliance with the project specification, AWS D1.1 & and approved shop drawings. Welding Procedure Qualification
The works shall be carried out in accordance with the approved work schedule provided by the Main Contractor.
Full article on Method Statement for Welding Works | Safe Work Method Statement for Welding | Work Method Statement Template | Mechanical Safe Work Method Statement | Welding Techniques | Welding Method of Statement | Welding SWMS | Welding Procedure Qualification | Fit up Inspection for Welding | Method Statement for Arc Welding. Thank you for the full reading of this article in “QA QC in Construction” platform in English. If you find this post helpful, then help others by sharing it on social media. Please share this article on social media for future uses.